As the summer winds down, enjoy this salad as a way to savor the flavors of the departing season. You can substitute vegetables that you already have at home but keep the onion, beans, corn and spices/seasonings true to the recipe to preserve the bright, fresh flavor. This salad incorporates many different colored veggies and brightens up any table. The refreshing flavors are a fabulous accompaniment to any meal.
- 4 ½ cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn (thawed if frozen)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or a pinch of cayenne
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine beans, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, and onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk together lemon juice, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, cumin, coriander, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and salt in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and toss gently until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or store in a covered container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.