Fab 5: Packed School Lunch Change-Ups
Packing lunches for your little one is a great way to provide a variety of nutrients to keep his school day going. If you find yourself packing the same lunch time and time again check out our fab five packed school lunches that break away from the usual PB&J!
1. Homemade Pasta Salad- Save 1 cup whole grain pasta from dinner the night before, mix with cucumbers, red and green peppers and shredded carrots, add cubed cheese and 2 tablespoons low fat Italian dressing and you’ve got a delicious, filling and energizing meal.
2. Cheese & Cracker Snacker- Layer spreadable cheese (such as Laughing Cow) on a whole grain cracker, add a slice of turkey pepperoni and top with another whole grain cracker with a bit more of the spreadable cheese so it sticks and makes a mini-sandwich. Send your little one off with these mini-sandwiches for a lunch that will pack a punch.
3. Yogurt Crunch Parfaits- Layer low fat Greek, soy or regular yogurt with granola (we like Bear Naked Granola for lower sugar content) and fresh fruit for a protein and fiber filled lunch that looks as good as a sundae!
4. Hawaiian Pizza Bread- made with whole wheat pizza dough, reduced sodium deli ham, low fat mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and pineapple- this lunch packs in calcium, vitamin C and fiber into a delicious bread that beats any pizza day at school. Check out our Hawaiian pizza bread recipe and enjoy!
5. Crazy Couscous- Take advantage of dinner leftovers to help make lunch for the next day. Mix 1 ½ cups of plain couscous with ½ cup chopped chicken, 2 Tablespoons Craisins, ½ cup shredded carrots and 2 Tablespoons slivered almonds for a leftover makeover.
Add a healthy side to any of the above lunches for a meal that will keep your child satisfied, energized and ready-to-go for the rest of the school day.